Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Conner

It is time for a blog update!  Since my last post, so much has happened.  It all revolves around our little (chunky) man Conner. A bunch of people have asked what my labor was like.  Well, I wondered when I would know if I was in labor?  Let me just say what my nurse said to me, "You know when you are in labor!!"  It's true!   Maybe not for all folks, but for me....I knew!  

 I started having contractions in the middle of the night on the 7th of June.  I would have this horrible pain in my lower back that would take my breath away for about a whole minute.  It persisted, but I didn't want to wake Ben.  So in the morning, we started timing them.  I didn't give a poop how far apart they were, I swore I was an 11 at about 7:00am the morning of the 8th.  So, we packed our stuff and went to the hospital.  


We got to MckayDee Hospital and we were admitted to labor and delivery.  But I was only a 2?!!! LAME!!  They said I would need to walk around the L&D unit for an HOUR and see if I progress.  That was the only way they would really admit me.  So we walked around for an hour (longest hour ever) and returned to our cheerful nurse, who said I was still a 2?!!  Again WAY LAME!!!!!  We drove home, and I was more mad than sad, I knew for sure I was in labor, and the car ride was awful! The next five hours at our house were even more awful!  Poor Ben could not do anything.  I would be just fine, but when I would have a contraction I would almost scream every time.  After five hours, I decided I was going back up to the hospital.  I pleaded with the nurse to let me stay, and she said I progressed to a 4. (3 & 1/2) 


She wheeled me right in to the room I would deliver in, and set up for an epidural right away.  The Anesthesiologist (Doc Pitel) came in and gave me the epidural.  HEAVEN in needle form.  :))))  I almost instantly started feeling relief.  Things progressed fine, but my water was not breaking, so the doctor came and broke my water.  Our doctor was out of town, so we had the on call Dr., Dr. Johansen.  It all went down hill from there...My epidural started to wear off!  I told my nurse I was starting to feel everything while I was pushing.  Dr. Pitel came in and gave me a bunch of doses, but nothing was helping.  So they rolled me over and discovered that the epidural tube had come out of my back?!  Never heard that before..so he had to give me another epidural from scratch.  Wasn't as bad the second time.  Again after he finished, I started to feel better.  Thank heavens!   I began pushing again and about 1 hour of pushing I started to get really nauseous, and my eyes were blurry.  I told the nurse everyone in the room sounded like they were in a cave.  She hurry and took my blood pressure to find it was 63/30! The average normal blood pressure is 120/80, Conner's little heartbeat was too low.  I felt myself going.....then an oxygen mask was placed on my mouth, and the nurse (Lisa) went to get Dr. Johansen. 



Let's get this thing out!

Not too long after, Dr. Johansen came in and I pushed with her.  She said he was stuck, so they would have to use forceps?!  Wow, those things are giant metal salad tongs!  I was terrified for little Conner's head.  Sure enough, I pushed and she pulled, and if they had an Olympic sport for delivering babies via giant salad tongs...Dr. Johansen would win for sure.  Finally after 4 hours of pushing and 32 hours of labor...Conner came into the world at 2:17 am.  I couldn't believe the rush of emotions I felt when I saw that little guy!  Well, one emotion was holy crap he is huge!  Hahaha Then I cried, laughed, and cried some more, then I was so relieved it was over!!!!!  I'm never doing that again.  I hope Conner doesn't want any siblings...
He's here...all 7lbs. 10oz. of him look at his poor head. :(
Conner Burton
 Our awesome nurse Lisa
 I look like death!  I hadn't slept in over 48 hours!
 Conner and I
First bath
Baby feet

Well, because of how long it took for me to push, I got a fever...so then Conner did too.  When he came out he gave a new definition to the word cone head!  His little eye was swollen shut, but he looked so cute!  After our parents came in to see Conner, the nurse and Ben went to the nursery to bathe him and get his footprints and all that good stuff.  After that, he had to go straight to the TLC nursery.  Which is a new thing at Mckay.  It is a transition nursery, not the regular, but not the NICU.  If he was born a month earlier, he would have been in the NICU.  His white blood cell count was high.  So, he was put on Antibiotics for 48 hours.  The only down side to this was we could only see him when he was hungry.  :(  We missed him, and couldn't wait to get home to spend all day with him!

 My first picture of Conner




 He always feeds with his feet crossed

We couldn't really have any visitors but family so my sister Lindsay and Ben's sister Heidi came to visit.  Chrissy was out of town.  :(  Our parents came too of course!

Aunt Linds and Conner
 Grammy and Conner
 Grandma bear and Conner
 Grandpa bear and Conner
 Pappa and Conner
 Aunt Heidi and Conner

Uncle Mike and uncle Dall could not come to the hospital, so they didn't meet him for a few days.

 Uncle Dall and Conner
Uncle Mike and Conner

Our experience at MckayDee Hospital was amazing!  The nurses there were ALL so great!  I  almost felt like I was on vacation.  We had room service, I had my meds brought to me, and I could ask the nurses for anything and they would do it right away.  I didn't change hardly any diapers during our 48 stay.

 Going home

  

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you updated! He is probably growing fast now... keep posting pictures or I would love to come hold him too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep them coming panda bear. Love it. And love you

    ReplyDelete